Wednesday 13 January 2016

A Stock Dove sunset

After low numbers in 2014-15, the local Stock Dove roost has returned to three figures throughout this winter so far. They use a small copse on an old industrial site, where they are relatively undisturbed. It is right on the edge of the saltings where the birds can often be found feeding, so they often leave their pre-roost assembly late, even sometimes right on sunset. I thought it likely to be a picturesque watch tonight, but had several opportunities to count the birds entering the roost courtesy of a low-flying helicopter.






'Stock' in this is another name for a tree trunk, and Stock Doves routinely nest in holes in mature trees. Over on the northern side of the estuary they took to any old hole, regularly nesting in gaps between the concrete pilings and roadway of Kingsnorth Power Station's Oakham Ness jetty. Nests were found up to 1.5 km offshore, over the mid-estuary deep water channel of Kethole Reach.

As an aside I was told today the E-On signs at the main gate at Kingsnorth were being taken down today, and a new company logo was waiting to go up. The plan had always been assumed as being the old owners would keep the site for eventual construction of a new station at some point. Whether the site has now been sold on, and what purpose, no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21