Wednesday 13 April 2016

The thin end of the floats

In February I wrote at some length on consultation document for the planned positioning of seaplane operational areas, and the disturbance caused by such operations.

Well, they've published. They kept Half Acre in. Actually, they didn't just keep it in...



...they extended it.


They did drop the Long Reach operational area (which always seemed risky based on the fact it is the main shipping channel) but gave them a second play area in right among all the waders, wildfowl and gulls- Stangate Creek.

Clearly Peel Ports have stuck by their understanding that legally they only have to consider navigation and not conservation law. As it was told to me, "..we have no power to blanket ban any lawful operation within the harbour and the aircraft in question causes little more disturbance than water skiing or jet skiing (when on the water).".

For those that don't know the area, I shall shortly post on the roosts and numbers of birds that use Stangate, but in the meantime an observation about what an operational area is. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to be watching towards Half Acre. It was clear the operational area is for "when on the water". They are not the boundaries for take-off/landing, gaining height off of the water does not matter, and there are no height restrictions around the rest of the estuary. This is shown in the pictures below, when to exit the Half Acre operational area the seaplane cruised almost to the boundary before revving up and then 'cruising' low west along Bartlett past Motney (sewage works and RSPB reserve) before gaining a higher cruising altitude.





While I was watching the area the seaplane did disappear for quite a while, presumably to go take off and land, take off and land, take off and land along Stangate. I'm now quite looking forward to bumping into it when down there to see how much additional 'runway approach' space it needs around that particular operational area, bearing in mind the dog-leg west towards Millfordhope Creek and Halstow/Twinney. Counts are going to be interesting, to say the least.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21