Sunday 27 November 2016

Disturbing conversations #1: the runner

For four years I've been asking questions, most politely, of the public about their activities up and down the shore. So as to get a feel for other users' viewpoints, so as to better understand the levels of disturbance waders and wildfowl put up with here. Obviously properly conducted surveys, such as I've mentioned before, are the correct way of doing research- but, to date I've not yet got into any 'robust debate', and I genuinely find I learn something.

Today's chat went something like this:

(Me, from private land, with permission): "Hi, hope you wouldn't mind me asking a question or two.." (sweet blah blah blahs, then cutting to the chase) "do you know the saltings you're just about to run out onto are an RSPB reserve with no public access?"

"Ummmm, y... no. There's no signs."
(I agree) "No, putting up a sign wouldn't stop me, I've run them for 30 years... Yes, I do run here on all sorts of tides- that's the best bit, when the birds are here; I enjoy seeing them fly up and away... I don't get to see that happen as often as I'd like as tide's not always in, but it's great when I do... This sort of spot can't just be left to the birds, we deserve pretty places to run... I used to run on the other side of the creek, but that sea wall is so pot-holed now, they ought to lay a nice running surface... What it needs is signs back in the Country Park... And hides there for you birdwatchers to go in out of everyone's way... And an education centre- we need educating..."

(I nodded in agreement to the last statement, and we parted with a handshake and a smile. Each still on their original route.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21