Saturday 9 January 2016

A Lower Halstow dawn

The tide was already on the make at dawn, and would cover the flats in just over the hour- not the best conditions for large wader counts. Most will have started feeding close to their nocturnal roosts and not travel far in the remaining time available- Grey Plover and Knot, which usually roost away from Twinney Saltings, were conspicuous by their low numbers. The Millfordhope roost Avocet and Curlew were present, as were the Twinney Dunlin. Still not sure where the Ringed Plover roost, but four dozen were close to the seawall at Twinney. The Greenshank and Spotted Redshank were by the fresher water of the creek head, and the Whimbrel still searched the rocks.

Wildfowl were 'as expected'- only Teal was down (presumably taking a last feed over the seawall before back to the Creeks to day-roost) while Brent Goose (intra-seasonal movements) and Shelduck (on their slow return passage from moulting grounds in the Waddenzee) both clearly had new arrivals among them.

Away in the distance, both Herring Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull were beginning to get 'territorial' on the seawalls of Greenborough. That seemed much too early for my liking.

On the way back through to Rainham I took a little time out to watch the Woodpigeon on the Ivy. 16 on a clump two metres by three metres, and loathe to leave it when I came near.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21