Wednesday 6 January 2016

Fighting Curlew

Curlew, like Grey Plover, can be 'territorial' or 'non-territorial' while overwintering. Ringing and colour-marking have revealed some will defend the same area of mud year after year. They are not tied to the area (they will leave with others for the fields if tides deny timely feeding opportunities), but when in situ, they will keep others away by voice and posturing.

Today was different. A Motney Hill bird was tolerating a second in close proximity when a third walked much too close. The territory owner went on the offensive and, with a flurry, upended the intruder to sit astride him, flapping down hard to keep him tight to the mud. The third Curlew stood, head bowed, closeby, watching intently. After a couple of minutes the defender dismounted, and the interloper hurried away, chased off to the creek at the edge of the territory.

Most references will point to pair-bonding not happening until March, and wintering ground interactions are usually two birds and little physical violenece. Certainly this was a level of interaction I had not seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21