Monday 4 July 2016

Fifty Shades of Estuary

I only have a very few Facebook chums nowadays. About a year ago, on impulse, I just about shut it all down, all gone save for a very few close people and a handful of groups. So this blog post is for the 600 or so I culled at the time. Sorry about that, but it did my head some good. At the time I did add a header photo for you all explaining what I'd done, but this post is an additional explanation for those who still haven't noticed it.

I was prompted to this after reading a friend's Facebook post tonight. A racing pigeon owner lured him into a loaded conversation about local Buzzards, before going on the offensive and demanding a cull.

Most comments in reply were on the button, focusing on the individual. But it was friends of my friend's replies, such as "Unintelligent pigeon fancier, why are there so many ? Maybe we need too cull them?" and "Are all pigeon fanciers idiots or is it just the majority?" that made me smile wryly.

Just a few hours earlier, down by the sea wall, I'd seen a chap parked up with the rear open on his estate. Two wooden crates could just be made out. I nodded as I passed, then a short distance on set up store and scanned the flats. Then a 'whoosh' of racing wings and I turned to see some 30 or so pigeons were off up into the sky.

Now I have something of a fixation on Woodpigeon migration, and some long-standing questions I'd been wanting to be ask on just how many racers do get into trouble dessus de la Manche. A wander over, an introduction, a friendly chat, answers duly obtained (for another day and another post- 'phew' I hear you say).

During the course of that conversation I also found out the chap was local to the estuary, that he also owned an orchard and a small wood with breeding Buzzard, Kestrel and Little Owl and (now he knew I was birdwatcher and a ringer) would I be interested in visiting his wood? He wants to know more about what he has there as he hopes to protect it long-term; regular phone calls from building company reps saying they see he owns land prime for development and offering to buy off him for silly money make him worry for the long-term future.

So, later on this week I'll be dropping by and having a stroll around with him, seeing how I can help. Human friend request accepted.

Would that conversation have even taken place if I'd been keeping up with the Facebook opinions? Pigeon racer bad, Birder good?

When on the sea wall I always chat with those I was routinely told were the enemy; the landowners, the CA supporters, the wildfowlers, the game shooters, the gamekeepers, the poachers, the bait diggers, the anglers, the dog walkers, the off-road bikers, the joggers, the doggers, the dealers (those last two by accident I hasten to add!). And now, the pigeon racers. They're all human. Heck, I even talked with a passing birder today.

So, belated apologies to all those who didn't make the Facebook cut. It really was nothing personal. Hopefully I'll see you on the sea wall for a good old-fashioned natter some day instead.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21