Friday 1 July 2016

News, just in

Funton for the evening covering tide. With just enough time for a decent game of 'New in or not new?' Now A lot of birders might slow up and go chasing moths, butterflies and dragonflies because it's 'quiet' this time of year, but things are starting to happen. Numbers of waders on the flats are beginning to creep up. What's not to like? While I work through each bird out there, I play this game to brighten things up. Have any of these birds just arrived from outside the estuary?

Grey Plover- a handful in the Creek, a handful in Bedlams. And more than 40 out on the Reach. Not new. These have to be over-summering immatures that keep switching between here, Greenborough and Blackstakes, the numbers add up nicely.

Turnstone- a brace. Not new. Same spot for the tide as per all of the last month. Easy game this.

Black-tailed Godwit- New in! Or, err, hang on, possibly not. Sure, Icelandic birds by plumage, but is somewhere else on the marshes missing some of their over-summerers about now? Oh, I'm going off this game- hang on, where did that extra dozen just drop in from? Popped up of of nowhere on the edge of the Creek.

Greenshank- No arguments- these are new in! Back of the net, woo-hoo, choo choo choo; much better than watching the Belgians, this.

Avocet- Deffo not new. Just making a few positional changes. Given up playing out on the right wing, playing down the Creek and Reach now.

Oystercatcher- not new (and no sign of any youngsters getting a run out yet).

Lapwing- a good scattering of recently fledged among nearly a three figure count, but then this number has been steadily building over the last few weeks- so surely local? These'll have to go down as not new.

Redshank- a nice half-century, they've doubled up out on the mud since last visit so could be a few new in, but not 'acting' like just arrived? Seem settled in their routine, look- all up and over together to the Barksore hidden roost pool- yup, not new I reckon (who's going to argue?).

Curlew- bang on schedule, numbers rising- there's new in! among those summerers for sure now. Some are watching where others are heading off to roost, heading up to join 'em. Oh, they're new. Result.

Bar-tailed Godwit- Heh, you're not fooling me, you well may be a loner up front out there today but I bet you've just got separated from your mates who've been about here all summer so far- that's a not new for you then.


Well, that was fun. And, as always, I reckon 110% right with my forecasts. Now to head home and see just how many the Welsh got tanked by. 3-0 I predicted. I just reckon I'll have been 110% right with that as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21