Tuesday 3 October 2017

A case of unwanted crabs

Even if, like me, your interest is just birds, never consign your twitter lists to just birders; plenty of other news on things that can have an effect on local bird life can be found by widening the scope of twitterfeed subjects; @LeonRosk is one such excellent tweeter who features a lot on the marine environment, in particular, relevant the bass here on the Medway, who also throws up a few gems now and then:



So, we have a new, invasive crab in the estuary, the Brush-clawed Shore Crab. The Medway is one of the first sites it has been recorded in the U.K. It has probably arrived via dredged ballast (the Arco dredgers discharge just a short way upstream of Upnor), and is a species that will oust our native shore crab. One to watch out for..

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21