Wednesday 13 September 2017

Horrid autumn- 13/9/17

Not a morning vis-migging, had to be elsewhere; instead a quick visit for the covering tide. There's always something to see in the autumn. A handful of Sandwich Tern upriver, then time for wader OCD as totalled 443 Grey Plover on view east of Horrid, then 444 Turnstone. I so wanted to find another Plover. Had I missed one?

Motney RSPB was the chosen sheltered roost for these Turnstone and Grey Plover today, but even from 1.3 km I instantly recognised one of the regular dog walkers making their way up the beach and out onto the reserve. Turnstone went off past me west towards the Strand, the Grey Plover kept south and east of me into R'ham saltings.

That dog walker will tell you he's been walking the saltings for 30, 40 years now, and nothing will stop him. RSPB will say privately 'it's a "minor reserve", what can you do?'

What can you do in the face of such a defeatist attitude? Me, I cancelled my RSPB membership years ago, and instead funneled those pennies to a small site trying to improve their conservation value here on the south Medway. Futile in the big picture, for sure, but I do keep hearing 'act locally'..


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21