Wednesday 2 August 2017

Horrid autumn- 2/8/17

A Horrid factoid- The Hill was first joined to shore by wooden jetty in the late 19th century.
-----------
02/08/17
05:15-08:05, covering tide

Point- Whitethroat feeding among the rocks.

Viz mig- 2 Common Tern w., 6 Black-tailed Godwit s., 35 Curlew s., 114 Whimbrel s.

Offshore (Sharp's Green Bay, Copperhouse, Ferol, Nor, Fry's, Rainham Saltings)-
94 Curlew, 17 Whimbrel, 704 Redshank, 106 Turnstone, 76 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Greenshank, 98 Dunlin, 2 Spotted Redshank.
27 Little Egret (+12nw. to roost), 17 Great Crested Grebe, 2 Marsh Harrier




Distant shots of one of the Whimbrel flocks driven off Bishop Ooze which flew low into Rainham Creek to rest on Rainham Saltings for twenty minutes, before heading inland over Twydall, lost on a south-south-west heading. This behaviour is typical of migrating Whimbrels when departing the estuary on the covering tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21