Wednesday 30 August 2017

Horrid autumn- 30/8/17

Well, I had hoped to make it to the need of the month with factoids, but run out of steam now.. if you know any I've missed, please let me know!

-----------
30/08/17
06:10-08:50



Point- Whitethroat, two Blackcap.

Viz mig- Little Gull out towards mouth just after dawn.  One Teal south. 63 Grey Plover in high from the north-east were probably new arrivals- the flock also contained three Knot. Four Snipe west in a low line. Two Whimbrel south. Just two Common Tern. 46 Swallow past the Point in two hours, but many more were following the shoreline. Otherwise passerines extremely poor, just a single Yellow Wagtail.

Offshore- Six Shelduck south-east from Hoo, back north-west an hour later with a Brent Goose in tow (probably one of two that oversummered on the islands, now getting a bit fidgety- yesterday one was out on Ham Ooze for the rising tide).

Plenty of fidgety waders on the Nor roost- the rowing boat indicating the Cap'n of the 'Mystic' was back out once again, perhaps trying to make repairs. Springs are not due for nearly two weeks, so certainly no chance of getting off the island yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been told not all comments are publishing. There seems to be a problem between Blogger and Chrome, and I'm being told if you have a problem you should try a different search engine.

All a pain in the proverbial. Sorry! I'm a luddite/technophobe (still won't even have a mobile phone) so much else is beyond me..

If still doesn't work, pls send me a DM/post to my twitter a/c @dunnokev to let me know- thanks! Kev 18/12/21